Wednesday 1 October 2008

Arranged marriage

So, the question was popped again…..mmm…. was your’s an arranged marriage then? The eternal curiosity…
One topic which I suppose every Indian abroad has to tread through.

I’m amused and irritated in turn….especially when I detect a whiff of patronising…
Why is this such a difficult concept to master? Having seen the various ways in which marriages are ‘arranged’ apart from the family way which we know in India, the question to me always smacks of mock sympathy…for the ways of the 'less civilized'.
Sure, every culture has its own curious ways…its own idiosyncrasies that only people born into the culture will understand.
Saying that I’m not trying to brush under the carpet, a whole lot of questionable ways in which this business is carried out, in all sections of the Indian society.
But spare me the sympathy, please.

For more insight on signficance of wedding customs in India, you can check out http://indianweddingcustoms.blogspot.com/
Useful info....

No comments:

Post a Comment