Sunday 11 October 2009

Exactly what constitutes racism?

Such a potentially explosive topic.. do you find yourself a victim of racism at times? What is racism? Not being considered a part of the group?

To be honest, whatever the dictionary definition, most of the times when laymen like us refer to an individual or a set up as being racist, we are merely commenting on the unfriendly nature of the place or individual. I am by no means denying the existence of serious racists in our society. That would at best be naïve and at worst dangerous.
But I get the feeling that we use this word all too commonly without thinking of the weight attached to it.

As for myself, the most vivid memory of feeling truly outcast because of who I was or where I came from, is sadly not of working in the UK but in Bombay when we moved, right after finishing medical college, to work in Bombay hospital. The fact that I could not speak Marathi always came to the fore (Rohit is a lot more accomplished in these matters and was speaking workable Marathi within days).

I’m sure there is a lot of covert ‘racism’ in our own country towards those that are different to you. Its not racism as per strict dictionary meaning, but its probably the more widespread of the two.

I for example, hear frequently about how the NHS is institutionally racist. About how, any foreign doctor has to be twice as good as a local graduate to measure up. About how the locals have a far better rapport in the unit despite maybe not being as knowledgeable or hard working. But is this not more about the inbuilt empathy or rapport that you feel for anyone from the same background or upbringing as yourself? And conversely, about the innate tendency to maintain a distance from or be suspicious towards anyone different to you. It is, I suppose, a natural instinct. I for one, have now come to terms with the unmitigated hostility doled out to me in, what is simply another state in my country. I now recognize it more as a case of xenophobia. A reaction simply to someone you don’t know or recognize as being different. It’s the ‘outsider’ syndrome, rather than racism. However there is a very fine line between the two and hostility towards outsiders can easily progress to overtly racist behaviour. We all remember the truly horrific episode in Mumbai not so long ago, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment